Click here to request an application for ABFT certification. Note: This application (version v2015.1) must be used for all submissions beginning July 1, 2015.
After submission to the ABFT Colorado Springs office, completed applications are reviewed by the Credentials Committee of the Board, and following successful completion of an examination, their recommendation is considered by the Board of Directors for final action. A complete application file will contain:
- Non-refundable $250 application fee.
- Recent passport-style photograph.
- Completed application form.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended (regardless of degrees received) must be sent directly to the Board’s office by the registrar(s).
- Three professional character references from practitioners in Forensic Toxicology (other than members or individuals who sit on the ABFT Board of Directors) who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s forensic toxicology experience and will complete ABFT-provided reference forms to be returned directly to the ABFT Administrative Offices.
- Degrees must be obtained in biological or chemistry-related science (including pharmacy). Acceptable institutions are those accredited by regional accrediting commissions recognized by the United States Office of Education (USOE). Degrees awarded from institutions outside of the United States and Canada must be evaluated by a credentialing service accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) such as the World education Services (WES).
- All applicants must have adequate undergraduate and graduate education in biology and chemistry as determined by the Board. For Fellows, if transcripts do not reflect coursework in pharmacology or toxicology, details describing how such training was received are required. The Board reserves the right to request a letter from the individual(s) who provided such training.
- Applicants must have completed at least a specified time of full-time professional experience (or the part-time equivalent thereof) in forensic toxicology subsequent to receipt of their degree.
All questions regarding the application process should be addressed to
, ABFT Secretary.
Verification of ABFT Certificant Status
The ABFT will charge a $50 fee to verify ABFT Certificant status. This includes the completion of certification forms for state medical boards.